Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Much has Happened since January.

February 2010
One of the most significant things that is happened in our lives since January, is the Factory closing. The "Factory", as we called it, has been a huge part of our life here in Nampa. It is the reason WHY we live in Nampa.


I have a lot of memories that are centered around the Factory. Taking lunch to dad in the summer, riding our bikes or roller skating around the workroom, sleeping in the office when we were to sick to go to school, cleaning out storage units (i hated this one, because of all the creapies and crawlies- have I ever mentioned that I really hate mice!!!!-), and many, many more wonderful memories. We even lived there for 3 1/2 months while our house was being built, when I was 14. One year, I even took my students on a fieldtrip to the factory, (we had been down the road at another parents work place) and dad gracesously showed the kids how mattress are made.





I hope that my kids have some memories of the Factory too, but I'm afraid that they are to young.

I have never seen the Factory gutted before. It has always been full of innersprings, boxsprings, buildup tables, sewing tables, the gluestation, pad, quilt, foam, and at times rolls of cotton. It made me want to cry.



It just goes to show, that the economy we live in is constantly changing... That the consumers as a whole want bigger, and "better" for cheaper, and for the cost of living in the U.S., we can not continue to manufacture any goods here for us to be profitable. Thus in slaving our country to others, and putting our trust and relying on others that maynot be so kind or forgiving in the future.
There I feel better now!

2 comments:

Aimee said...

I don't know if it's the hormones running through me right now, but I was bawling looking at those pictures and remembering so many memories! I'll miss that place.

Teresa, mom, Deitz, Aunt Dee Dee said...

Amen, sista!!!

The factory looks so sad. :-( I can't believe how empty a building can be. Even though I never lived there or visited too much, I too am sad about the closing of Bountiful Rest, Nampa.

I have to echo your sentiments about bigger, "better" and cheaper. Aren't we enslaved enough to Asia? One can only hope that things get better, and make my own purchases with more thought and planning. Hence, I try to stay away from wal-mart and shop our local markets.