Tuesday, September 15, 2009

If the Odds of Winning the Lottery were the same, I would buy a ticket!!:)

Here we go again!
Since Ash was two months old, we have known that each of our children would have a 33% chance of having the genetic defect she did that caused her bilateral urine reflux. Well, we hit the genetic gene pool just right, and Addie also has it. We were truly blessed when Ashlynn was diagnosed from an early age, because a lot of times children are misdiagnosed for years with just bladder infections and by the time they are finally diagnosed, they are in Kidney failure. (And most everyone knows what a nightmare Ash's first few months were.) Because of our family history, the kids are tested at six weeks of age. Well, yesterday it was Addie's turn...and she has it. She's only a 3 (not as bad as Ash with a 5, which is the highest the scale goes). Today, she'll start her maintenance meds, to help discourage infections, and in the next few days have a Kidney scan to make sure they are working properly. So in the last two weeks she has had an ultrasound and a barium swallow to see if she had Pilloricstanouses or Gastro reflux (she doesn't), A VCUG-the test that checks for the urine reflux, and a hip ultrasound to make sure there wasn't any damage from being breech (and initial peek looked good). I need to hit the lottery just to pay for all these medical bills (If only I ever played).

On Saturday, we had Ash's birthday party. Because it was her golden birthday (becoming the age of the day you were born), we allowed her to have a "friend" birthday party. All the others have just been family. Originally the party was going to be at the Rec. Center and then go to the park and have pizza, but we found out that it was closed for maintenance that weekend... so we were going to postpone it. But LeAnne found out, and insisted that we use her pool. So, at the last minute we changed plans again (its a good thing, I don't think I could have listened to Ash go on about her party for another two weeks!!!!!!!) The kids had a blast. They went through the pizza faster than I thought we would. :( And a good time was had by all.
The only casualty, is that I didn't catch that Brennen wasn't wearing his T-shirt until it was to late, and he is burnt pretty badly across his shoulders and back.







We also went to Art in the Park. Man what a lot of walking. I payed for it... My incision still hurts.
Happy Birthday MOM!!! Love You!

3 comments:

Teresa, mom, Deitz, Aunt Dee Dee said...

So sorry to hear about Addie's medical problems. Just be thankful that you caught it early and that you knew what to look for. I wish I could have been there for Ash's birthday party. Nothing better than birthday cake and pizza! What a fun thing to have, a PARTY!

Love ya, looking forward to seeing you on Oct. 9th. I bought my tickets to come up yesterday. YIPPEE!!!!

Emily said...

Oh poor little Addie...that is no fun, I'm sorry. Glad they do the tests early though, so you can know right away and be better prepared to deal with it.

I bet Ash had so much fun at her party! Poor Brennen though, sunburns hurt so bad.

Christine said...

No, not Addie too! Ugh.

Ash's party was a blast. Thanks for inviting the boys! They're still talking about it.